How can I find out how old my clock is?
Using the Maker’s Name or Company Name to Identify an Antique Clock
- Engraved or printed near the center face of the dial.
- Engraved or printed around the edge of the dial’s face and may be covered by the bezel.
- Stamped or engraved on the clock movement’s backplate.
- A paper label pasted on the back of the clock.
How do you date an antique clock?
Signatures on an antique clocks dial or movement can sometimes help to date a clock. Providing you can find the clock makers name and the date of activity listed in one of the many guides accessible to watch and clockmakers. However, a signature may refer to someone other than the clockmaker.
How do I know if my clock is valuable?
Examine the clock for the marker’s signature or label. Check the face, mechanism and case. Clocks that are labeled or stamped with the name of its maker or a trademark are more desirable than unmarked clocks. If you can’t find a label or a stamp, you’ll need to identify the type of clock yourself.
How do I know if I have an antique wall clock?
Often the authenticity of an antique clock can be confirmed by the presence of a clockmaker’s trademark or insignia that is inscribed on the clock’s movement. Without such markings or an associated label, a clock that is merely attributed to a specific maker will most likely be valued less.
How do I identify an old grandfather clock?
Antique Grandfather Clock Identification
Start by checking out the face and dial of the clock, as the manufacturer’s name may be engraved or painted there. You may also find a copyright symbol or trademark near the dial. To look further, open the hood (the top part); you may need to open a latch.
Are New Haven clocks valuable?
brand. c. 1880 – The New Haven Clock Company continues to prosper; their clock production this year is valued at close to $500,000.
What are the most valuable antique clocks?
The 5 Most Expensive Clocks Ever Sold at Auction
- Flamingo and lotus automation clock – $1.2M.
- Magpie’s treasure nest – $2.3M.
- Thomas Tompion Clock – $2M.
- #2. Chinese Ormolu clock (1736-1795) – $4M.
What is a witness mark on a clock?
A witness mark could be a small dent, a hole that once held a screw: These are actual impressions and dent lines and discolorations left inside the clock of pieces that may have once been there. They are clues as to what was in the clockmaker’s mind when he first created the thing.
What does S and F mean on a clock?
There is usually a small F (Faster) and S (Slower) printed on either side of the dial. French clocks may have an R (Retard) and A (Advance). To make the clock go faster, turn the key toward the F (or A). To make the clock go slower, turn the key toward the S (or R).
How do you get antiques appraised?
Four Ways to Get a Free, Local Appraisal
- Attend Appraisal Day at a Local Auction House. …
- Go to a Major Local Antique Show. …
- Attend a Visiting Appraisal Show. …
- Ask Antique Shops and Auction Houses. …
- Know the Item’s History. …
- Check Scope of Appraisal Before Going. …
- Remember Free Appraisal Limitations. …
- Selling Your Appraised Antique.
What are Seth Thomas clocks worth?
Seth Thomass For Sale. Prices, Appraisals & Auctions
|Lot #||Estimate / Price Realized|
|89||Seth Thomas Office Calendar #10 Wall Clock Antique Clock, Vintage Radio, Salesman Sample & Collectible AuctionPrices Realized||SOLD: $4,100|
|405||Seth Thomas #11A Regulator Fine Clocks, Antique Toys & Trains – Day 2Prices Realized||SOLD: $4,080|